Bed bugs resilience only makes it more difficult for us to find better and more efficient ways to kill them. However we put together a comprehensive guide on how to remove bed bugs to help you figure it out what works and what not.
How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs Permanently
Getting rid of bed bugs permanently is a difficult task. Although there are many ways to get rid of bed bugs, here are some to try:
- Research and increase your knowledge of bed bug activity: In order to prevent, you must first know how they can travel and where to find them. Look for the key signs in your home that indicate an infestation.
- Vacuum everywhere: Completely vacuum every nook and cranny in your home and do not take any corner for granted. Limit the number of items in your room and avoid cluttering any space. Put things back where they belong instead of leaving them on the floor or near your bedding.
- Wash any infested items in supremely hot water: Easy enough, boil the bed bugs to death. Wash your clothing in hot water and dry them at the hottest temperature for about 20-30 minutes. This will surely kill them.
- Inspect the unexpected while travelling: Always inspect your sleeping area and the surrounding furniture. Remember do not leave your luggage on the bed, chairs, or floor. Keep it in the bathtub as it’s the safest place in the hotel room. Also, do not leave any of your clothing items laying around. Stow everything away properly.
- Use safety when attempting to try pesticides: Some pesticides can be hazardous to human health and if you have health conditions, it may not be a good idea to do this. Instead, contact your local exterminator who will advise you on next steps to take care of the infestations but it is recommended you do not try to remove the bed bugs by yourself.
- Trap you bed bugs: By using a bed bug trap that can be found at a market, it will enclose them and hold them side of the capsule which will release dry ice/CO2 to trick them into thinking it is a human.
- Get rid of any infested items: Throw away any clothes, sheets, or other items that bed bugs have infested. It is unclean and unhealthy to keep them around anymore.
Killing Bed Bugs with Spray
Many people try to get rid of bed bugs themselves as a DIY project. There is more to getting rid of bed bugs with commercial products than one might think. A lot of products can be harmful to humans, especially for those who suffer from asthma or any type of respiratory issue caused by the fumes. Here are some of the top bed bug sprays sold:
- EcoRaider Bed Bug Killer 16-ounce (Available at Wal-Mart)
EcoRaider is rated number one overall based on price and effectiveness. Its success rate is higher than the other listed products and is a certified USDA Bio Based insecticide. Known for its non-toxicity and eco-friendly nature, it is safe to use in your home, even around your children and pets. This product is not to be sprayed directly on furniture, carpets, or your mattresses. Combined with all-natural ingredients, this product provides consumers with a formula that will surely kill bed bugs at any stage in their life cycle. After application of the EcoRaider, studies showed proven results that this insecticide protected against nasty bed bugs for up to 2 weeks. Easy to use and effective, EcoRaider is a definite product to try, and you can even carry it with you when you travel.
- Harris Toughest Bed Bug Killer (Available on Amazon)
This odorless and powerful insecticide is one to keep your eye out for on the market. If odor is an issue, this product is perfect in the case there is a ventilation issue or you have a sensitivity to smell. As soon as this bed bug killer comes into contact with the pests, it kills instantly. It will also eliminate their eggs. This product is useful for up to 16 weeks! This formula will not stain or smell and is safe to use in your home. Registered under the EPA, this gallon sized bottle is one to rely on for all your bed bug treatment needs.
- Travel Hygea Natural Exterminator 3-ounce (Available on Amazon)
Travelling soon? You will need the perfect, pocket sized, non-toxic bed bug killer option. The Travel Hygea Natural Exterminator can be used to spray your mattress, sheets and any furniture that may have been in contact with the blood-sucking bugs. This product is odorless and harmless, making it easy to use around your home, kids, and pets. This TSA approved product is also safe to carry on planes.
- All Natural Eucoclean Bed Bug, Flea, and Dust Mite Killer (Available at Wal-Mart)
Trying to get rid of more than just your bed bug infestation? This product is packed with features that will eliminate fleas, dust mites, spiders, moths, and ticks, too. This all-natural formula is filled with botanical essential eucalyptus oil that will kill bed bugs. With a fresh scent, it can also be used to clean your kitchen and bathroom, aside from killing pests. It is a rather small bottle compared to other bug sprays so ensure you use it sparingly.
- Eco Defense Bed Bug Killer (Available at Wal-Mart)
This all-natural and organic bed bug killer is safe to use and every ingredient is non-toxic. No need to leave your home or fear exposure to this product because the fumes are not harmful. This powerful formula will instantly kill bed bugs and their eggs. This product even works for other common pests. You may apply his spray directly on surfaces.
- Proof 100% Effective Bed Bug and Dust Mite Killer Spray (Available at Home Depot)
Dust mites and bed bugs will no longer be a problem, thanks to this effective product. This bug killer is proven to kill on contact with its combination of non-toxic, plant-based formula. Instant results show elimination of bed bugs up to 3 weeks post treatment. This product is also one of the cheaper options for bed bug sprays.
- Bye Bye Bed Bugs (Available on Amazon)
Say goodbye to those nasty pests with Bye Bye Bed Bugs! Safe to use and harmless around kids and pets, this product produces instant results. No stains, and no fumes. Apply this eco-friendly, non-toxic formula directly on your mattress to kill any bed bugs. This amazing product comes with an option feature that allows the user to change the spray pattern in order to get deep into corners that you may not otherwise get to. Lightly spray your bag or luggage prior to travel for extra protection.
Other Home Remedies for Bed Bugs
Many people will first run to their cupboards for a home remedy to heal something like a cold sore or an ache. Did you know there are some effective home remedies for killing bed bugs? Here are some of the best home-made remedies:
- Diatomaceous Earth
A powder with the power to rid any pests, especially bed bugs. Its ingredients include fossil remains from tiny aquatic organisms. The power will dehydrate the bed bug and absorb the oils and fat from them. Apply the powder in the infested area. Soon enough, the bed bugs will die and you will be able to vacuum them away. Unfortunately, it may take up to 10 days for the power to kill them, but this powder is deemed very effective and easy to use.
Good news: If you own a vacuum, you already have the ability to get rid of the bed bugs. Vacuum anything and everything is your home. Once you vacuum up your whole house as thoroughly as possible, dispose of the vacuum’s bag outside and not in your garbage can. Ensure you clean up everything after you are done vacuuming.
A bed bugs resilience can only go so far until they are hit with temperatures of 120°F / 48°C. Steaming is a highly effective home remedy for getting rid of bed bugs. If you do this treatment properly, you will see instant results.
Before you begin steaming:
- Clean the area where the infestation is and remove any clutter from those spaces.
- Vacuum everywhere including your mattress, box springs, furniture, and carpets to eliminate any dust.
- Ensure you wash all of your clothing in very hot water and then dry and seal your clothing into plastic bags for protection.
- Disinfect the vacuum along with any accessories used with it to the do the treatment.
- Eliminate all of the trash bags OUTSIDE of your home, and never leave them inside.
After you have completed the above steps, it is time to begin the steaming process:
- Once you have filled your steam cleaner with the appropriate amount of water, turn it on.
- Connect the proper tool on the steamer’s hose. The most appropriate one for bed bugs would be the triangle one including a microfiber cloth.
- Steam slowly to ensure that the heat has been maintained on the surface area to penetrate deep enough. Spend time in each spot and slowly move the steamer.
- Steam everywhere, starting with the top of your curtains to the bottom of your carpet and along to all the furniture
- Pay careful attention to your mattress, slowly moving it up and down. Do not press to deep into the mattress as to not squish the bed bugs further in.
- Repeat the process of steaming all sides of your mattress as needed.
Once the process is complete, it is time to clean up and wrap up the end of treatment:
- Ensure that any surface that was steamed is completely dry
- Using a plastic and tear resistant plastic, wrap your mattress and box spring up to make sure that all of the living bed bugs will die
- Inspect any and all furniture for remaining living bed bugs or their skins, feces etc.
- Disinfect your vacuum with product before you use it again
- If in the unfortunate event that you discover bed bugs again after 7 days, you must repeat this process
Best steamers for killing bed bugs
Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner (Available on Amazon)
This useful steamer will produce temperatures of up to 135°C (275°F). This steamer is very effective and holds many positive reviews. Since the heat is so great, bed bugs cannot survive, resulting in a successful treatment. This product comes with a 3-year warranty.
ONE™ Steam Cleaner (Available on dupray.com)
With 50.8 psi steam pressure and 50 solid minutes of cleaning time, this powerful device was designed to get the most out of your treatments. Other than treating bed bugs, it is highly useful for all types of cleaning. It is portable and easy to use.
PureClean XL Rolling Steam Cleaner (Available on Amazon)
A lightweight and durable product is the perfect combination for killing bed bugs. This product is especially recommended for elderly or those with injuries for its weight and size. Included are 18 attachable pieces and accessories to ensure you can steam every single part of your home.
PurSteam Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner (Available on Amazon)
For those who are not fans of large cleaning products, this one is the perfect choice. This high-performance handheld steamer will instantly kill bed bugs. Its size is the main focus but it doesn’t take away from its effectiveness and successful results. Not only will it remove those nuisance bed bugs, it will clean stains and grease on a multitude of surfaces. This device pairs with 9 attachments and are made to fit into tight spaces to get the most out of your steam treatment.
- Ensure the device you choose is lightweight and easy to use with a heavy mattress
- After looking through all of the included attachments, pick the one that will be best used for the mattress and then one that will be better to use for the smaller spaces
- In the event that your steam cleaner breaks down, you will want to ensure that it has a good warranty where the company offers a decent customer service to assist you with any issues
- Always inspect and check all of the materials included. Test the product before using it throughout your home, and make sure that there are no missing pieces or nothing is falling apart during use
Tip: Before using any steam cleaning product, carefully read the instructions and learn how all the parts work before you begin your treatment. Do not forget to take the appropriate steps when handling bed bugs for personal safety and health concerns. Do thorough research before purchasing any product or putting it to use